Sunday, April 5, 2009

What’s all the flutter about Twitter?


That is what I am trying to figure out. So, I just dove in, signed up for a Twitter account, and began “tweeting”. Do I even know what tweeting is? Not really. I owned a parakeet once, but I feel that this may be a bit more profound. It certainly did not stop me from convincing the Tea Drinker to sign up, too. I am fascinated by social networking. There is so much information to be had by using the Internet. My number one goal is to help my husband get Drink the Leaf’s name out there. That’s my role as the Wife of a Tea Drinker!

As Twitter’s website states: “...a service for friends, family, and co-workers to communicate...stay connected...through quick, frequent answers to one simple question: What are you doing?” You have to answer this question in 140 characters or less. I love that. And as you type, the ticker counts down the characters. I love that pressure, too. You better be doing something interesting. Who wants to read that you are doing nothing? Or that you had Eggs Benedict for breakfast. People may want to know where you had those eggs, though.

To offer useful information is even better, yet. This is what sucked me into Twitter. You can follow individuals that have a wealth of knowledge, and the best part is that these people are are willing to share this information. It can also give you the objective to strive for something interesting to talk about -to answer that question-What are you doing???

How can Twitter help your business? The key is to “follow” other user’s tweets, which are text based updates. I typed in “tea”, and hundreds of names popped up, from business owners, organizations, tea enthusiasts, to tea bloggers. A great way to communicate and connect with knowledgeable people that share the same passion as you: loose leaf tea. These short messages are sent to you, and if something catches your eye, you can read that person’s profile, and learn more about them and their business. Reciprocating seems to be the protocol. If you follow someone, they follow you. Celebrities twitter, too. I heard recently that Kirk Douglas ( for crying out loud, he is 92 years old, and is using Twitter) is now using this social media.

Check it out, and sign up to follow us on Twitter. It's free. We promise to bring you interesting, and useful information. Hurry up, and join. There still seems to be plenty of room with only 5 million users tweeting up a storm. Now, that is social networking!

1 comment:

Alexa Bond said...

I've been wondering about Twitter. Willl have to try it...