Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Tea Experience


I read somewhere recently that Ancient monks drank tea to help them stay awake through many hours of mediating. The goal was to achieve a calm awareness, referred to as the “tea experience”. Scientists have since revealed that tea contains L-Theanine, an amino acid that promotes relaxation and mental focus. I love this concept!

I am a fan of caffeine. My mind and body yearns for it first thing in the morning. There is no coffee in our house(dreadful, I know). I used to scramble to get to work to pour myself a cup of joe. However, if you have read my posts, most of you know that my husband has turned our house into a tea emporium. Things have changed. I now willingly begin my day with tea. It has to be black- of course, dare I risk missing out on getting a jump start to my day. My favorite morning teas are Keemun Hao Ya A, House Ceylon, and Red Peony. On a side note, as a frequent traveler, Red Peony is perfect for any journey. The tea leaves are tightly wound into a rosette, and all you have to do is plop it into your cup, and enjoy. Presto- you are calm and alert.

This concept of a calm awareness is intriguing. Who wouldn’t want to achieve that on a daily basis? Have all your ducks in a row, with a smile on your face. Just think- your day is jam packed- work, errands, house duties, children, husbands, wives, friends, pets, exercise, and what to make for dinner. All you have to do is drink tea all day and a calm aurora will magically appear and surround and protect you. Imagine people commenting about how calm, cool, and collected you are!

In all seriousness, I believe that the process of brewing and enjoying tea will create an experience that will calm you, regardless of caffeine. Many of the Tea Drinker’s customers are concerned about the harshness of coffee, and the negative effects of caffeine. They are looking for something cleaner, pure, and healthy. Loose leaf tea is the answer. We truly enjoy converting die hard coffee drinkers to tea. Give us your challenge, and we will help select the perfect cup for you. Just let us know whether you want to be calm and alert, or just calm! Your call.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, L-theanine is awesome. It does give that calm awareness to balance off the caffeine raising some alarms inside you. I'd like to encourage you to maybe try some other morning teas than just Black Tea. The truth is, teas vary in the amount of caffeine they have. There are some green teas and even white teas that will perk you up even more than the morning cup of black. --Jason