Sunday, October 19, 2008

Need to calm your mind?

What makes you feel tired, wiped out, dehydrated and headachy? Bikram Yoga. I know, you probably thought I was going to launch into the list of wines that I drank last night with dinner. Nope, -just tried Bikram Yoga for the first time this morning at a new studio in Napa, CA. With only DTL House Celyon and a piece of toast in my system, I headed out the door to tackle a new experience. If you have never tried this type of Yoga, please do yourself a favor, and give it a try at least once. It’s a combination of lots of sweat, 26 stretching postures, concentration, and a feeling of accomplishment. I was told “no experience necessary”….

To set the scene- the temperature in the studio is 105degrees with 40% humidity. Now, I love heat, but 90 minutes of this- I was dreaming of my hometown Buffalo, NY, and willing up memories of brushing heaps of snow off my car! The class room was filled with both men and women, scantly clad, (I really should’ve at least worn a short sleeved shirt!), working our bodies into different posture exercises. Each posture’s purpose is to move oxygenated blood to one hundred percent of the body- restoring each organ. The result: lean and toned muscles, calm mind, and a toxin-free system.

At the end of 90 minutes, you really do feel that you can accomplish anything, if you put your mind to it. That is until you get home, and you are so darn tired, the only thing you can do is a take a nap! Why was I so tired? Because my body was beginning to cleanse….headache?....because I was dehydrated. The instructor suggested that I drink a lot of water today. Just like the Tea Drinker’s motto at Drink the Leaf- “just add water!”.

I will go back. But, first I need to explain to my husband that I am taking Bikram Yoga, not “burping yoga” which is what he thought I said when I ran out the door this morning!

Just Go, Drink tea, and water!

No comments: