Monday, October 19, 2009

Gone Fishin' Again


Reporting from Singer Island, FL

Last week my adventures in peddling wine took me to Tampa, Naples, Miami and ended with a wine dinner at The Resort at Singer Island with Solu Restaurant . The dinner was sold out, and a huge hit. It was a fun evening had by all, as we enjoyed lots of fabulous wine alongside a memorable meal. After this whirlwind week, I could not resist the temptation to stay for the weekend and settle into a bit of rest and relaxation. It did not take me long to convince the Tea Drinker to join me on this getaway(sorry Mops & Pops that we did not make it Sarasota this trip).

Coincidentally, last week also corresponded with opening season of Stone Crab. The Tea Drinker and I consumed our fair share of deliciously fresh crab over two days, and debated back and forth whether we preferred this variety to its West Coast rival: Dungeness Crab. In the end, we both agreed our hearts were dedicated to Dungeness Crab(season usually starts mid-November). We were first introduced to Dungeness Crab about 13 years ago at a slightly run-down seafood restaurant located in Coos Bay, Oregon. I ordered from the menu with trepidation and stared blankly at our waitress as she inquired if I would like to select my meal from the tank. Gulp. No, thank you. Soon, a beautiful pink crustacean arrived before me, and again I was at a loss for words. How the heck was I to tackle devouring this lovely creature? I breathed a sigh of relief as the waitress man-handled my meal, cracking and crunching the crab right before my eyes. That experience sent me on a lifelong mission of seeking out crab season each year.

Then, there is Alaskan King Crab. For my fortieth birthday, friends surprised me with Fisherman's Express delivered right to my door at our Sea Ranch escape. My Mom was celebrating with us that weekend, and as I opened the box, she exclaimed, “I hope you have butter!”. Not to worry, we always have the goods. In my quest for all things crustacean, it wouldn't be right to leave out soft shell crab. Another favorite of mine, especially if it’s tempura fried and served with a side of pimento cheese grits at the Peninsula Grill located in Charleston, SC. It's no coincidence that my wine travels bring me to the South during season each year.

Go ahead and ask. I am sure you are dying to know how Drink the Leaf loose leaf teas pair with all things crab? I have no idea. I was too busy cracking Stone Crab, wiping creamy mustard sauce off my chin, and slurping down Chardonnay.

No comments: